Mamma Gallo's Authentic Italian Meatballs


My mom made the most authentic delicious Italian meatballs. She fried them and I remember while I walked home from church on Sunday,the aroma would carry down the block. I couldn't wait to come home and taste it.

Ingredients:

2-3 lbs of lean ground meat - beef/turkey/pork you can mix it if you like- or all of one- no worries
2 or 3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley chopped finely
1/2 cup of grated cheese -Asiago, Romano or Parmesan- I prefer Asiago
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and salt
1 cup of bread crumbs -whatever you have on hand plain seasoned or even pankco breadcrumbs are fine
3 eggs
1/2 cup of water
**My mom chopped her parsley and garlic by hand-I use the food processor.

Directions:

Mix all your ingredients in a large bowl.
Take a little meat and roll it -you can use a ice cream scooper for perfectly sized meatballs or eyeball it.
**You can fry them like my mom but I choose to put them on a baking sheet to bake.
I spray the bottom of the cookie sheet or coat it with little of olive oil.
Line the meatballs up and bake for about 40 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Add them to tomato sauce and cook them for an 1- 1 1/2 hours.
If you fry them you can serve them straight up or with your favorite chutney or sauce.
They work well as appetizers too.

**You may freeze any extra meatballs for a sauce that you will make at a later date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Knot Cookies or Anginetti Cookies

Venetian Layered Cookies

Nonna Gallo's Traditional Meat Lasagna